In this edition of KCLL’s Office Hours, we’re joined by local attorneys Evelyn Emanuel and April Benson to answer your questions about estate planning.
Office Hours is a recurring webcast where a panel of experts answer questions that attendees submit before the event. You can see a list of upcoming events HERE.
Questions Addressed in this Hour:
- 02:20 – Introductions
- 05:03 – What IS estate planning?
- 09:26 – Does a “durable power of attorney” include the right to make financial decisions?
- 09:47 – What are some of the other popular estate planning instruments?
- 12:36 – What is a living will?
- 16:43 – What is a pour-over will?
- 19:42 – What is a trust?
- 21:19 – What is the difference between a trust and a life estate?
- 28:38 – Can I change a revocable trust to an irrevocable trust?
- 31:38 – How do you properly transfer property into a trust?
- 36:51 – When is a special needs trust necessary? Are there alternatives?
- 42:43 – What is the best option to leave assets to a disabled adult child while avoiding probate?
- 43:47 – How can I pass life insurance proceeds into a minor’s trust?
- 50:14 – How much of inheritance is tax-exempt?
- 55:26 – What happens to a jointly held bank account when one of them dies?
- 56:36 – How can I find a good lawyer to help me with my trust?