Civil Procedure Forms

I. Washington State Court Forms:

Washington State Court Forms

Here you will find forms that are used statewide in Washington Courts. This is not a complete list of all forms. Your Court may have forms you must file in a case. Please check with your local Court to confirm. Additionally, you may want to check the Local Court Rules for forms and for more information.  

Other Washington State Court Resources:

Request for Reasonable Accommodation Court Forms

General Rule 33 Request for Reasonable Accommodation Forms.

II. King County Superior Court Forms:

King County Superior Court Forms

This web site includes pattern forms used in King County Superior Court. Please be advised that this directory is a work in progress and may not include all forms routinely used by the court or by individual judges.  In addition, Superior Court uses many of the Washington State Pattern Forms, particularly in the family law arena.  View the Family Law Handbook Marriage Edition or Domestic Partnership Edition maintained by the Washington Administrative Office for the Courts

Other King County Superior Court Resources:

King County Superior Court

King County Superior Court is a general jurisdiction trial court with responsibility for:

  • Civil matters involving more than $300, unlawful detainers, and injunctions;
  • Felony criminal cases;
  • Misdemeanor criminal cases not otherwise provided for by law;
  • Family law, including dissolutions, child support, adoptions, parentage, and domestic-violence protection matters;
  • Probate and guardianship matters;
  • Juvenile offender matters;
  • Juvenile dependencies, including abused and neglected children, children in need of services, at-risk youth, and truancies;
  • Mental illness and involuntary commitment matters.

King County Superior Court Clerk

The King County Department of Judicial Administration (DJA), more commonly known as the Superior Court Clerk’s Office, serves as the record keeper and a customer service provider for the King County Superior Court. The Clerk’s Office is responsible for maintaining and managing access to the official superior court case records, dating back to 1854.

King County Superior Court “Your Day in Court” Handbook

This handbook is designed to shed some light on what you can expect as you prepare for your day in court.

King County Superior Court Civil Department Manual

This web site includes descriptions of specific civil department procedures and samples of frequently-used forms such as Joint Confirmation of Trial Readiness and Order on Pretrial Conference.

Mandatory Arbitration

If a lawsuit is for less than $50,000 in monetary damages only and meets the criteria described on this web site, arbitration provides the opportunity to have a case heard by a court appointed arbitrator in a more economical and less formal setting.  It may also result in a resolution sooner than the assigned trial date.

Self-Represented Persons in Superior Court Civil Proceedings

Understanding and making your way through the court process is not easy and can be quite frustrating, especially for those handling their own legal representation (pro se litigants). There are extensive state and local court rules (see E. 7) and everyone appearing before the Superior Court is expected to follow them. While a one-page handout can never tell you everything you need to know, this guide will hopefully be of benefit in clarifying a few of the mysteries of representing yourself.

III. King County District Court Forms:

King County District Court Anti-Harassment Forms

Forms and information for anti-harassment petitions and orders. An anti-harassment order is a special type of restraining order which is available only to victims of harassment. It is a civil order of the court telling the person who harassed you not to bother you again. The police are notified of your anti-harassment order. The order is fully enforceable in any county in the State.

King County Domestic Violence Forms

King County District Court offers a dedicated DV Court  at the Maleng Regional Justice Center (MRJC) in Kent. For information regarding domestic violence protection orders, please click here.

King County District Court Formas Español

King County District Court Forms in Spanish.

King County District Court Sexual Assault Protection Order Forms

A Sexual Assault Protection Order is a civil order issued by a court at the request of a sexual assault victim or by someone else on his or her behalf. The order can require the person who harmed you to stay away from you, your home, school, work or other places you request, and to have no further contact with you.

King County District Court Small Claims Forms

Any individual, business, partnership, or corporation (with a couple of exceptions) may bring a small claims suit for recovery of money only for an amount up to $10,000. A claim can be filed in any King County District Court location. You may select the courthouse location you wish your claim to be heard in as long as other jurisdictional requirements apply. 

Other Helpful King County District Court Resources:

King County District Court

The King County District Court is the largest court of limited jurisdiction in the state of Washington and is currently responsible for processing approximately a quarter of a million matters per year. 

King County District Court Traffic Tickets FAQ

For infractions, the back of the ticket lists the options you have for responding to the ticket: (1) payment, (2) request a mitigation hearing, or (3) request a contested hearing. You should put an “x” in the box indicating your response, sign your name, and provide your current mailing address. Your response should be sent to the courthouse location listed on the front of the ticket.

Self-Represented Persons in District Court

Understanding and making your way through the court process is not easy and can be quite frustrating, especially for those handling their own legal representation (pro se litigants). There are extensive state and local court rules and everyone appearing before the District Court is expected to follow them. The following may be of help in clarifying some of the mysteries of representing yourself.

IV. Seattle Municipal Court Forms:

Seattle Municipal Court Criminal Court Forms

The forms on this web site are for use in court appearances. Please be advised that this directory is a work in progress and may not include all forms routinely used by the court.

Other Seattle Municipal Court Resources:

Filing a Damage Claim

If you believe the City is at fault for an incident or accident resulting in loss, injury or damages, you can file a claim requesting payment. Details on the claim filing process, frequently asked questions and links to the Claim for Damages forms are on this web site.

Sample Municipal Forms

Municipal Research and Services Center (MRSC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to proactively supporting the success of local governments state-wide by providing collaborative consultation and immediate access to a vast research and knowledge base. You can obtain practical guidance through online topic pages, easily find information on city and county codes, and access an extensive collection of local government sample documents to see what others are doing and how they’re doing it.

Seattle Hearing Examiner

The Office of Hearing Examiner is a separate and independent office of the City created by the Seattle Municipal Code.  The Office is charged with conducting fair and impartial administrative hearings, when authorized by the Code, to review the actions of various City departments. The Hearing Examiner’s decision in a case is usually the City’s final decision.

Seattle Municipal Court

The Municipal Court of Seattle is a limited jurisdiction Court, authorized under the Revised Code of Washington 35.20, with jurisdiction over all violations of the Seattle Municipal Code.

Self-Represented Litigants in Municipal Court

Understanding and making your way through the court process is not easy and can be quite frustrating, especially for those handling their own legal representation (pro se litigants). There are extensive state and local court rules and everyone appearing before the Municipal Court is expected to follow them. The following may be of help in clarifying some of the mysteries of representing yourself.

Some Things You Should Know About Representing Yourself In Court

A basic introduction for a person who is appearing in court without an attorney.

V. U.S. Courts Forms:

U.S. Courts Forms

Find a national federal court form. National court forms can be used in all federal courts. Each federal court maintains their own local court forms. Use the Court Locator to find a federal court and their local court forms.

Other U.S. Courts Resources:

U.S. Courts

The U.S. Courts were created under Article III of the Constitution to administer justice fairly and impartially, within the jurisdiction established by the Constitution and Congress.

VI. Washington Law Help Forms:

Answer, Affirmative Defenses, Set Off, Notice of Appearance and Certificate of Service

These forms are associated with the packet How to Answer a Lawsuit for Debt Collection but can be used with other general civil actions.

Certificate of Service

General Certificate of Service form that can be used in most civil, non-family law actions.

Declaration Form – General Civil

Declaration for general civil court cases. This form is not for family law cases.

How to Subpoena Witnesses and Documents

This packet has these forms and instructions for them: Motion and Declaration for Issuance of Subpoena; Order for Issuance of Subpoena; Subpoena; and Affidavit of Service.

How to Vacate a Civil Judgment (CR 60)

A Motion to Vacate is a request to the court to withdraw a previous order or judgment it entered. It has to be based on one of the specific reasons set forth in Civil Rule 60. A Motion to Vacate may be filed in Superior Court or in a court of limited jurisdiction such as district court.

How to Vacate a Judgment and Stay the Enforcement of a Writ of Restitution

This packet has forms and instructions you can use to try to stop the court from enforcing a judgment and writ of restitution against you. This would allow you to: 1) Stay in the property a little longer and 2) Get your case back before the judge for a hearing.

How to Waive Legal Financial Obligations

This publication explains the different types of legal financial obligations that the court can order you to pay and what to do if you cannot afford to pay them.

Notice of Appearance

Court form for non-family law cases

VII. Other Helpful Resources (alphabetical A-Z):

Administrative Appeals Guide

This guide briefly discusses how to appeal the decision of an administrative agency to the Superior Court. 

Appellate Case Processing Guide

The Appellate Case Processing Guide is designed to assist litigants through the appellate process. 

Better Business Bureau Online Complaint System

BBB handles disputes that relate to marketplace issues experienced with the services or products a business provides.

Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals (BIIA) (Workers’ Compensation)

Workers, employers, and other interested parties have a right to file an appeal with the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals from decisions of the Department of Labor and Industries. RCW 51.52.060.

Court Rules, Court Forms, Dockets

This site includes links to over 1,400 sources for state and federal court rules, forms and dockets.

DOL: How to request a hearing

Find out about driver license suspension hearings and how to request one.

Environmental & Land Use Hearings Office

On July 1, 2011, the Environmental & Land Use Hearings Office (ELUHO) became the umbrella administrative agency for the three separate Boards that hear appeals of certain land use and environmental decisions in Washington. Each of these Boards operates independent of one another, hearing appeals and deciding cases within their separate areas of expertise and jurisdiction.

Filing Your Lawsuit in Federal Court: A Pro Se Guide

This manual is intended to assist an individual wishing to file a civil action without an attorney (Pro Se) in the United States District Court, Western District of Washington.

How to File a Construction Lien

This page contains information that will help explain what you need to do to file a lien. It also provides some of the forms you need to protect your rights and collect your fees. The focus of this information is preserve your right to file a lien, even if you never have to.

How to Present a Tort Claim Against the State of Washington

Individuals who have been harmed or who have suffered a loss as a result of negligent actions by a state employee or agency can submit a tort claim to the Office of Risk Management (ORM). 

How to Request Admission to Practice Pro Hac Vice

These procedures and APR 8(b) apply only to Washington state courts. If you want to apply for admission to federal courts, please see local federal court rules and procedures.

How to Take Civil Action Against a Contractor’s Bond (Kitsap County)

While Washington State law provides some protection from fraudulent or incompetent contractors, it doesn’t guarantee honest transactions or perfect performance. Informed, cautious consumers can better protect their financial investment. A general contractor must maintain a $12,000 bond. A specialty contractor, such as a painter, must maintain a $6,000 bond. Dissatisfied consumers may pursue restitution by taking civil action against a contractor’s bond in Superior Court. All registered contractors must carry general liability insurance coverage in the amount of $250,000. Contractors must also have a master business license. The forms included in this template were created for use in Kitsap County, Washington.

King County Frequently Requested Records

An alphabetical listing of various types of records frequently requested from the King County Archives. Many of these records are held elsewhere, and some of these links will take you directly to the repository that holds them.

King County Hearing Examiner

The King County Hearing Examiner is appointed by the Metropolitan King County Council to provide a public hearing process for land use and other critical issues that is fair, efficient, open and accessible to all citizens. The Hearing Examiner conducts hearings on certain types of land use applications and on appeals of county administrative orders and decisions. The Examiner issues formal decisions or makes recommendations to the King County Council on the matters heard. 

Limited Practice Officer Information

A limited practice officer, or LPO, is a person certified by the Washington Supreme Court under rule 12 of the Admission to Practice Rules (APR). Although not a lawyer, an LPO is authorized to select, prepare, and complete documents in a form previously approved by the Limited Practice Board for use in closing a loan, extension of credit, sale, or other transfer of real or personal property.

Tort Claim Procedure for King County

To file a claim against King County, a Claim for Damages form must be filed with the King County Clerk of the Council, per King County Code.

Unemployment Hearings: FAQ

When a person or business disagrees with a decision made by the Employment Security Department (ESD), the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) will hear and decide the dispute. The judge who hears your case is neutral and not employed by ESD.

Veterans Affairs Forms

This is the Department of Veterans Affairs Forms web site. 

Washington State Office of the Attorney General Filing a Complaint

“We offer an informal complaint resolution service to Washington state residents, and to consumers with complaints about businesses located in Washington state. Through this process, we contact businesses to determine their response to consumer complaints. If a business refuses to respond or to make an adjustment, we cannot compel them to do so. We inform consumers of alternatives if our complaint resolution service is not successful. The Attorney General’s Office is authorized to bring legal action only in the name of the State of Washington, and is prohibited from serving as an attorney for individual consumers. We are further prohibited from giving advice, rendering opinions or interpretations, or conducting research on behalf of individuals or businesses.”

Links Updated October 2020.