The King County Bar Association’s Kinship Care Solutions program provides free legal advice and representation to relatives or significant caregivers trying to set up minor guardianships. The service is staffed by volunteer attorneys. Eligibility is income-based and also uses the following criteria:
- The length of time the child may have already resided with the caregiver.
- Is the caregiver a safe and stable placement for the child?
- Would the child be at risk if returned to his/her parents?
- How difficult it is to find a volunteer attorney for the case?
- Would the caregiver be able to bring the case without an attorney?