How to Vacate a Civil Judgment (CR 60)

This packet contains both instructions and forms for vacating a civil judgment in Washington State. A motion to vacate is a request to the court to withdraw a previous order or judgment it has entered. The request has to be based on one of the specific reasons set forth in Superior Court Civil Rule 60. A Motion to Vacate may be filed in Superior Court or in a court of limited jurisdiction such as district court. Generally, a Motion to Vacate will be granted if you are able to convince the court that you did not have a fair opportunity to present your case. If you had such an opportunity, then you should not file a Motion to Vacate as it is not a way to ask the court to change its mind or reconsider the evidence or law.