News & Updates

KCBA Housing Justice Project

  • Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 10:30 am and Monday afternoons from 3:45 pm – 4:45pm (clients must arrive prior to 5:00 pm for the afternoon clinic) at the King County Courthouse
    • King County Courthouse, 3rd Floor
      516 Third Avenue
      Seattle, WA 98104              
  • Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 10:30 am at the Maleng Regional Justice Center
    • Maleng Regional Justice Center
      401 Fourth Avenue North
      Room 1281
      Kent, WA 98032
  • No appointment necessary
  • The Housing Justice Project can provide legal advice to tenants with eviction-related issues, assist with filling out responses to eviction proceedings, and help with related landlord negotiations.
  • Sponsored by the King County Bar Association, https://www.kcba.org/pbs/HJP.aspx  

Other Resources

  • Eviction Kit, available online and in person at the King County Law Library. This eviction form kit was drafted by an attorney who frequently practices landlord-tenant law in King County, Washington and surrounding counties. Although the eviction kit has detailed instructions, use of a kit is not a substitute for legal advice.
  • Tenants Unions (for general housing information and forms): http://www.tenantsunion.org/
  • Catholic Community Services, Catholic Housing Services of Western Washington, http://www.ccsww.org/site/PageServer
  • Department of Planning & Development – code compliance (206) 615-0808
  • Solid Ground (206) 694-6700
  • Housing Justice Project: Seattle & Kent (206) 267-7090
  • Interim CDA (206) 623-5132
  • King County Housing Authority (206) 574-1104
  • Legal Action Center (206) 324-6890
  • Metropolitan Urban League Housing (206) 461-3792
  • Moderate Means Program – Housing Attorneys (855) 741-6930
  • Northwest Justice Project (NJP) (888) 201-1014
  • Seattle/King County Department of Public Health (206) 296-4600
  • Seattle Housing Authority (206) 615-3300
  • Tenants Union (206) 723-0500
  • U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (206) 220-5101
  • How to Vacate a Judgment and Stay the Enforcement of a Writ of Restitution If you do not deliver a written response to an eviction summons and complaint for unlawful detainer on time, or if you do not appear at a show cause hearing, then a final judgment may be entered against you and a writ of restitution may be issued. If the eviction summons required that you pay rent money into the court or file a certification by the deadline, and you did neither, a writ of restitution may also be issued. A writ of restitution directs the sheriff to physically remove you and your personal possessions from the property you are renting. This is called “enforcing the writ.” A judgment states the amount of money you owe your landlord. The money owed may be collected by garnishing your wages or bank accounts, or by seizing your personal property and having it auctioned. If you receive a judgment or a writ of restitution and you believe you had a good reason for not responding to the eviction summons or appearing at the show cause hearing, you may ask the court to vacate (or withdraw) the judgment and stay (or temporarily stop) the eviction. If the court agrees that you may have had good reasons for not responding or appearing, enforcement of the writ of restitution may be stayed or postponed until a hearing on your motion to vacate the judgment is held.

Find Landlord-Tenant Forms Here

Links Updated October 2020.