More Washington Residents Now Eligible for Sealed Name Changes

Sealed Name Change

The Washington state legislature recently expanded who may petition for a sealed name change in the state. The expansion now permits individuals seeking a name change for gender identity and expression purposes, emancipated minors, individuals who have received asylum, refugee or special immigrant juvenile status, and individuals who have experienced or fear domestic violence, stalking, harassment or coercion to petition for a sealed name change in any superior court in Washington.

You can see these changes made to RCW 4.24.130 here.

If you need guidance petitioning for a sealed name change in King County, you can purchase a packet with instructions and all required forms in person at KCLL, or online here.