Family Law

News & Updates

If you are getting married in a foreign country and they are asking you to provide a “Letter of Single Status“, the Department of Health can provide one for you.

Neighborhood Legal Clinic: Family Law Clinics

  • Appointment required; call (206) 267-7070 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Tuesdays – Thursdays
  • Free 30-minute meeting
  • Various locations and hours in the Seattle area, which can  be found here:
  • Call for an appointment and more information (206-267-7070 from 9:00am – 12:00pm Tuesdays-Thursdays)
  • Focused on general family law questions. The Neighborhood Legal Clinics service King County residents or clients with legal issues in King County.
  • Sponsored by the King County Bar Association,

Family Law Facilitator Program

Due to public health concerns and until further notice, the Facilitators will NOT be meeting in person.  Instead, users should call the telephone numbers listed below.

  • Monday – Friday from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm and Wednesdays & Fridays from 2:15 pm – 4:00 pm at the King County Courthouse on the 3rd Floor
    • King County Courthouse
      516 Third Avenue
      Room W-382
      Seattle, Washington 98104
    • (206) 477-2553
  • Monday – Friday from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm and Mondays & Fridays from 2:15 pm – 4:00pm at the Maleng Regional Justice Center
    • Maleng Regional Justice Center
      401 Fourth Avenue
      Room 3-D
      Kent, Washington 98032
    • (206) 477-2781    
  • The Family Law Facilitator Program at King County Superior Court provides information and referrals to family law litigants who are not represented by attorneys.  Litigants may meet with a facilitator on a walk-in basis (walk-ins are first come, first served, and sign-in will end 30 minutes prior to closing or once capacity is reached) or by pre-scheduled appointment (for document review or if an interpreter is required)
  • More information:  
  • You can now see some of the materials used by the Facilitators online through a link provided on the King County Superior Court’s web site.

KCBA Family Law Mentor Program

  • If your case is placed with a volunteer attorney, you and your attorney will make arrangements for appointments.
  • The Family Law Mentor Program assists King County residents who are low-income married or unmarried parents with contested family law cases (dissolution, petition to establish a parenting plan, or paternity cases) – where children are at risk.
  • Sponsored by the King County Bar Association,

KCBA Self Help-Plus Program

  • Clients can reach the SHP Program at (206) 267-7080 for more information and to request an application. If a client prefers to come to the office, the address is:
    • 1200 Fifth Avenue
      Suite 700
      Seattle, WA 98101
  • Applications for the program can be requested by telephone, email, in person at the reception desk, or online:
  • Self Help Plus (SHP) helps low-income people who represent themselves in uncontested family law actions.  In addition to instructing clients about the legal process and informing them of their rights and responsibilities, SHP can help filling out legal paperwork – relieving clients of the pressure of having to complete documents on their own.
  • Sponsored by the King County Bar Association,

KCBA Kinship Care Solutions Project (Third-Party Custody Matters)

  • Call the Kinship Care Solutions intake line at (206) 267-7086 to be screened for eligibility.
  • If your case is placed with a volunteer attorney, you and your attorney will make arrangements for appointments.
  • Through a panel of volunteer attorneys, the Kinship Care Solutions Project provides free legal representation for relatives and other caregivers seeking non-parental custody (also known as third party custody) of a child/children.
  • Sponsored by the King County Bar Association,

Other Resources

  • Family Court Services Adoption Services, (206) 477-1493
  • WA Adoption Reunion Movement (WARM), (296) 767-9510
  • Center for Children & Youth Justice – foster care youth (206) 696-7503
  • Child Protective Services (866) 363-4276
  • Childhaven – therapeutic daycare for abused kids (206) 624-6477
  • Family Reconciliation Services (800) 609-8764
  • Council for Prevention of Child Abuse & Neglect (206) 464-6151
  • Family & Children Ombudsman: complaints against CPS, foster parents, DSHS only (206) 439-3870
  • Family Services – counseling services (206) 524-9055
  • Operation Lookout/National Center for Missing Youth (425) 771-SEEK
  • Street Youth Legal Advocates Drop-In Clinics 2-1-1
  • Teem Child – Juvenile Advocacy (206) 322-2444
  • Teen Link (206) 461-4922 or (866)TEENLINK
    • WPF EM 01.0100     Petition for Emancipation (PTE)
    • WPF EM 01.0200     Notice of Hearing (NTHG)
    • WPF EM 01.0300     Order Appointing Guardian Ad Litem (ORAPGL)
    • WPF EM 01.0400     Decree of Emancipation (DCE)
    • WPF EM 01.0500     Order Denying Petition for Emancipation (ORDYMT)
Domestic Relations/Family Law:
  • Dads Against Discrimination Services (253) 661-8831
  • Division of Child Support (800) 442-KIDS
  • Eastside Legal Assistance (425) 747-7274
  • Family Court Services (206) 296-9400
  • Family Law Legal Clinics (206) 267-7070
  • Family Law Facilitators
    • Seattle (206) 296-9092
    • Kent (206) 205-2526
  • KC Prosecuting Attorney: Family Support Division
    • Seattle: (206) 296-9020
    • Kent: (206) 296-9595
  • Kinship Care Solutions – 3rd party custody (206) 267-7086
  • Moderate Means Program – Family Law Attorneys (855) 741-6930
  • Self-Help Plus: Dissolutions & Parenting Plans (206) 447-1353
  • Volunteer Settlement Conference Program
    • Seattle: (206) 205-6770
    • Kent: (253) 852-2345
  • Wellspring Family Services (206) 524-9055

Washington State Adult Lay Guardianship Training

Find Family Law Forms Here

Links Updated March 2022.