Our Legal Clinic Partners
Due to the COVID-19 situation, legal clinics that usually meet in-person in the Law Library have been suspended or are meeting by phone only. See details below.
Debt Collection Defense Clinic:
Due to public health concerns and until further notice, the DCDC clinic will NOT be meeting in person. Instead, users can contact the clinic via telephone at 206-707-0934 – during the same hours listed below.
- Call between 12:00-1:00pm on Tuesdays to to be screened for eligibility
- You will receive a return call between 1:00-3:00pm
- 30-minute meeting
- No appointment necessary
- Focused specifically on low-income debtors with questions about debt collection, abusive collection practices, garnishment and medical debts
- Sponsored by the Northwest Justice Project
- At all other times, the DCDC front desk can be reached at 206-464-1519 for screening
NLD Walk-In Clinic:
Due to public health concerns, there will be NO WALK-IN LEGAL CLINIC. (This will be updated as more information becomes available.)
Every Wednesday in the Seattle Library from 11:15 am – 1:30 pm 30-minute meeting This clinic uses a lottery to determine when you will be seen. Please arrive promptly at 11:15 to receive your lottery number. Arriving earlier will not help. Clinic staff will draw lottery numbers and see people in that order. Focused on civil legal and procedural questions Sponsored by the New Lawyers Division of the King County Bar Association
Neighborhood Legal Clinic’s Downtown Clinic:
In-person meetings have been suspended. Call 206-267-7070 to schedule an appointment.
Every Thursday in the Seattle Library from Noon – 2:00 pm
- 30-minute meeting
- Appointment required; please call (206) 267-7070
- Focused on civil legal and procedural questions. The Downtown Clinic is one of several neighborhood legal clinics sponsored by KCBA. For information about services provided at the other clinic locations please visit the KCBA’s Neighborhood Legal Clinics web site.
- Sponsored by the King County Bar Association
Find other free and low cost legal help in King County here.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Visit to a Free Legal Clinic
Generally, you will only have about 30 minutes to meet with an attorney. To get the most out of your visit, be as prepared as possible:
- If you already have forms, fill out as much as you can on your own.
- Do not walk into a clinic with a stack of blank forms.
- The attorney will not have time to go through all of your forms with you.
- Only ask the attorney about the sections of the form that are confusing. Mark them with sticky notes so that you can locate them quickly.
- Have a short and succinct version of the facts of your case prepared.
- Have a written outline or timeline of the facts prepared in advance, so that the attorney can quickly get a sense of the issue.
- Do not get bogged down with unnecessary details or casting blame.
- Do as much research on the law of your case as you can beforehand.
- The more you know about the law of your case, the better the attorney can guide you towards the next steps.
- Pick the one issue that you are having the most trouble with or that is the most immediate concern
- Where are you on your case schedule?
- Have you been served with a document that you do not know how to respond to?