Where to get legal advice
KCBA Neighborhood Legal Clinics:
ELAP Legal Clinics:
- 30-minute meeting
- APPOINTMENT REQUIRED; Call the ELAP Help Line at (425) 747-7274
- ELAP sponsors 36 free monthly legal clinics in King County. ELAP attorneys can assist with debt collection, bankruptcy, employment, housing, immigration, and wills and estate planning questions.
- For more information, visit the ELAP Legal Clinic website.
- Sponsored by the Eastside Legal Assistance Program.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Visit to a Free Legal Clinic
Generally, you will only have about 30 minutes to meet with an attorney. To get the most out of your visit, be as prepared as possible:
- If you already have forms, fill out as much as you can on your own.
- Do not walk into a clinic with a stack of blank forms.
- The attorney will not have time to go through all of your forms with you.
- Only ask the attorney about the sections of the form that are confusing. Mark them with sticky notes so that you can locate them quickly.
- Have a short and succinct version of the facts of your case prepared.
- Have a written outline or timeline of the facts prepared in advance, so that the attorney can quickly get a sense of the issue.
- Do not get bogged down with unnecessary details or casting blame.
- Do as much research on the law of your case as you can beforehand.
- The more you know about the law of your case, the better the attorney can guide you towards the next steps.
- Pick the one issue that you are having the most trouble with or that is the most immediate concern
- Where are you on your case schedule?
- Have you been served with a document that you do not know how to respond to?