Category: Links

How to Vacate a Civil Judgment (CR 60)

This packet contains both instructions and forms for vacating a civil judgment in Washington State. A motion to vacate is a request to the court to withdraw a previous order or judgment it has entered. The request has to be based on one of the specific reasons set forth in Superior Court Civil Rule 60. A Motion to Vacate may be filed in Superior Court or in a court of limited jurisdiction such as district court. Generally, a Motion to Vacate will be granted if you are able to convince the court that you did not have a fair opportunity to present your case. If you had such an opportunity, then you should not file a Motion to Vacate as it is not a way to ask the court to change its mind or reconsider the evidence or law.

How to Subpoena Witnesses and Documents

From if you’re going to an evidentiary hearing or trial and you need to make sure that a witness shows up, or that someone brings documents or other items, you can have the person served with a subpoena issued by the court clerk. For the attendance of a person, use a subpoena. To require a person to bring documents or other items, use a subpoena duces tecum.

How to Present a Tort Claim against the State of Washington

The Risk Management Division (RMD) of the Washington State Office of Financial Management is required by RCW Chapter 4.92 to receive and process citizen’s standard tort claims against Washington State. The Self-Insurance Liability Program (SLIP) sets agency premiums and pays approved claims filed against state agencies. RMD objectively determines the state’s liability for claimed injuries. It fairly compensates claimants for damages when liability is supported, and denies claims when liability is unsupported.

Filing Your Lawsuit in Federal Court: A Pro Se Guide

This manual is intended to assist an individual wishing to pursue a civil action in his/her own behalf (pro se) in the United States District Court, Western District of Washington.  The Manual includes forms, information about obtaining forms from the Court’s website, and some instructions on completing the forms.